Instagram

October 26, 2014

Breakfast at Antonio's


When it comes to birthday celebrations, my family prefers to have a simple and intimate family meal rather than throw a big party. So when my Dad recently celebrated his birthday, we decided to head up to Tagaytay for a much needed change in scenery and a lovely brunch at Breakfast at Antonio's.


When we got to Breakfast at Antonio's, the place was full of people. We were sixth on the waiting list, giving us ample time to browse their shop which was at the entrance of the restaurant. If you can't tell from how many pictures I took, I had so much fun checking out all their food products. There were fresh baked goods (I know they're fresh because the shelves were constantly being refilled with bread coming out of the kitchen), jams, salad dressings, gourmet bottled spreads and delicacies, and even vegetables. The packaging and the display are so chic that it's enough for you to want to buy everything! 


The exposed beams and the use of wood gives a rustic feel, but the black and white color scheme keeps it very sophisticated and modern. I also love the openness of the space which allows Tagaytay's famous cool breeze to come through.


After seeing all those breads and jams at their shop, we just had to try some. We ordered their Bread Basket which comes with assorted breads and jams. My favorite has to be the strawberry jam because it's not too sweet and still has a bit of tartness to it.


My mom and my sister wanted something light so they each had a plate of the Antonio's House Salad with Mixed Berry Mustard. I love it because it has everything you could want in a salad -- mixed greens, assorted fruits, cucumber, nuts, seeds, organic boiled egg, and cheese -- without seeming like it's a salad that just has whatever's in the fridge thrown in it. Even though it has a lot of components, they're well-though out to compliment each other. 


I had one of their best-sellers, the Sautéed Corned Beef. Now, unlike the usual soft, mushy corned beef that you would get in a can, you can really feel how chunky and meaty the beef strands are with this one. It's perfectly seasoned (not too salty) and sautéing it in garlic, onions and tomatoes adds a lot of flavor, and a slightly toasted texture. This is easily the best corned beef I've had!


My Dad had the Fresh Corned Beef with Swiss Cheese and Over Easy Eggs Roesti which is a Swiss crisp potato pancake. I mean, just look at that beauty. Cheese and egg yolk running over a thick stack of sliced corned beef and potatoes -- now that's what I call a breakfast! Being the foodie that I am, I was so happy to see that their corned beef is sliced, and not in chunks which is what you'll mostly find in the Philippines. Their corned beef is so tender, almost buttery, and is contrasted by the potato pancake that has a crisp crust but is chewy on the inside. I would wake up for this anytime!


Since we were there around lunch time already, we also ordered some Spaghetti Bolognaise (P495). Meat sauces have a tendency to be oily and heavy especially if there's a lot of meat in it but I like how the freshness of the tomatoes still comes through the sauce with this one. I wouldn't say I was blown away by it but overall it's a good pasta dish. 


After a busy week, nothing feels better than getting away and spending some quality time with your family over a lovely meal, especially if you're celebrating something special like a birthday. If you're looking for a quick get away, I suggest you drive up to Breakfast at Antonio's in Tagaytay with a full tank and an empty stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment