Instagram

August 4, 2016

Hole in the Wall Experience


When instagrammable hipster aesthetics and mouthwatering food finds come together in one food hall, it surely makes for a unique dining experience. Hole in the Wall has been open for quite some time now but I've never gotten a chance to visit because I seldom find myself in the Makati area. Thanks to Martin's hosting gig beside Century City Mall recently, we were finally able to visit, and you have no idea how excited and giddy I was as we entered this good food gathering place.

The highlight of my experience has to be Bad Bird's Waffle Plate. It's a plate of their Umami Fried Chicken served with Sweet Potato Waffles with Miso Butter and Maple Syrup. The best part of the chicken is the crispy skin, and they made it even better by sprinkling it with umami spices. You can choose from three levels of spiciness - safe, spicy and chemical. The sweetness of the waffles was the perfect pairing to counter the spiciness of the chicken. I loved how they were able to put a Japanese twist on the classic chicken and waffles. Definitely a must-try when you go to Hole in the Wall.

For something healthy on our table, we ordered the Marinated Watermelon Salad with Feta from Garde Manger. A cold and fresh kitchen, they primarily serve salads and fresh juices among other healthy and delicious food. The salad we had was so refreshing because of the juicy watermelons and citrusy oranges. The creaminess of the feta cheese gives the dish a little indulgence without the guilt. We washed it all down with a fresh lemon and ginger juice, but there were so many interesting flavors to choose from I'm sure you'll have difficulty picking which one to try.

The name of Serious Dough was witty enough to actually make us want to try it. We had the Mushroom Ricotta Spinach pizza because all those three ingredients just appeal to me. Just put ricotta and spinach together in a dish and I'm all on board. I really liked how thin and chewy the crust was. I also liked how it's not your typical pizza with tomato sauce but it's not too rich that you can't have too much of it.

I was craving for some matcha when we went there and Green Cheese which specializes in Japanese cheesecakes, including a match cheesecake just happened to be one the stalls there. I didn't get to try their cheesecake but I had their hot matcha latte which I liked because it wasn't too sweet and it had the subtle earthy flavor of matcha.

For us foodies, we try and find great hole in the wall places because they are the ones that usually serve the best food and offer the most unique dining experiences. This one surely lives up to its name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment