Instagram

December 7, 2016

Medieval Architecture and Waffles in Ghent, Belgium


After our pageant in Brussels, we were finally free to tour other cities. Before flying off to other countries, we went to Ghent which is a port-city in Northwest Belgium. It used to be a prominent city-state during the middle ages because of linen trade, and is known for its medieval architecture. It was so picturesque, and the way they were able to preserve the old buildings is impressive. 

One of the most scenic places in Ghent is the Graslei which is a street lined with historic buildings and cafes on the right bank of the Leie river.


It was a lot colder in Ghent than in Brussels so before starting our walking tour, we stopped for some one of the best hot chocolates I've had at L. Van Hoorebeke Chocolatier. I used to think drinking hot chocolate in cold places was just because it was delicious, but after experiencing 5 degrees celcius cold (coming from a tropical country), I realized drinking it is almost like a necessity because holding the cup will keep your hands from freezing, and the hot drink will keep you warm. I honestly wouldn't mind living in a cold place if it means I can drink hot chocolate all the time.


We also got to visit other famous landmarks in the city such as the Gravensteen (castle) and the gothic style Sint-Baafs Cathedral.



I really loved how it's such a walkable city. In fact, Ghent's city center is actually the largest carfree area in Belgium.


Before we went home, I also got to try Flemish waffles which are so much lighter than the Liege waffles which is what you'll mostly find in tourists areas in Brussels. I also got to drink mulled wine for the first time. After walking around in cold to the point where I almost couldn't feel my fingers anymore, I finally understood why the idea of hot flavored wine would be so appealing. I was so happy I was able another part of Belgium other than Brussels.

Make sure to watch my vlog below to see more of our Ghent trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment