Instagram

October 14, 2013

Pretending to be an Iron Chef

Waiting for your food in a restaurant can seem like forever especially when you're starving. Well, if you're craving for Japanese food, that waiting time may seem shorter than it actually is since some katsu restaurants now provide you with something to do while waiting for your food -- making your own katsu sesame sauce!


My boyfriend and I recently ate at the newly opened Katsu Cafe branch in Tomas Morato. After taking our order, we were provided with a mortar and pestle with sesame seeds inside. 


The mortar has indentations to make it easier to grind the sesame seeds. 


After grinding, you simply have to add the sweet and tangy katsu sauce that's already prepared for you. And voila! You have just created (or should I say mixed) your own sauce! 


I had the Chicken Katsu. It was served with miso soup, rice and some cabbage. 


Katsu basically means food that is coated with bread crumbs and is then deep fried. Traditionally, it's made with pork (known as tonkatsu) but you can also use chicken like what I had. 


Even though you simply ground up sesame seeds and mixed the sauce, it's always fun knowing you had some participation in preparing your food. I honestly felt like I was like some katsu master preparing my signature dish... or Iron Chef' Morimoto. 

Anyway, order up some katsu and have fun pretending to be a master in the art of making sesame sauce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment