Instagram

February 11, 2015

Torch


What do you do when you can't decide whether what you want to eat? You want sushi rolls, but you also want some steak, oh, and pizza sounds good too! You go to Torch.


The first time I went to Torch was when I had dinner with friends. We decided to just order for everyone and share, and I loved the food so much that it was hard to limit myself to the equally divided portion of food. Having said this, I really wanted to go back, and just pig out on their amazing dishes... which I did with my mom and sister.

When I was with my friends, we ordered several of Torch's rolls which I just couldn't get enough of. Now, their rolls are nothing like a typical, simplistic Japanese roll. Take for example their Torch Signature Roll which we ordered. It's sushi roll with soft shell crab, tempura, unagi topped with wakame, kani and mangoes. It's basically like the sea all rolled up in nori. I couldn't quite taste the individual flavors of each component anymore but it's seriously like a seafood party in your mouth. My favorite part also has to be the crispy wanton on top of the roll because it adds a lot of crunch in contrast to the mushy rice. It's nearly impossible to get a whole roll in your mouth because it's massive, but it's definitely fun trying.

We also ordered their Beef Short Rib which was surprisingly so soft and tender that we didn't even need a knife to slice it. It's then drenched in a creamy, mushroomy gravy which marries so well with the hearty beef. 

Some of my friends ordered the Salpicao Medallion during our dinner, and it looked so good that I knew I wanted to try it the next time I went to Torch. First of all, I love the presentation of the dish because not only is it aesthetically pleasing, it's also functional. The dish is served on an elevated stone plate that has a heat source underneath, keeping your beef warm no matter how long it takes you to eat it. The beef wasn't as tender as I expected it to be considering it was still a bit rare on the inside. However, I liked how the meat wasn't over-seasoned so you could really taste the beef itself. It also comes with gravy which adds a lot of flavor if you don't want your steak kind of bland.

So, whether you want sushi or steaks, Torch definitely has it covered from East to West. Why choose when you can have both? 

No comments:

Post a Comment