Instagram

February 3, 2014

Food Find: Organic Cherry Tomatoes and Red Radishes


Hello everyone!

I’m starting another series again here on my blog called Food Find. It’s a series where I’ll be featuring food items that are not ready-to-eat dishes from restaurants or food stalls. These are food items which can be from the grocery, markets, and the like that I want to share with all of you.

Anyway, speaking of markets, one of the things to love about the weekend is the Sunday market. You’ll never know what unique, hard-to-find produce or knick knacks you’ll find there. Last Sunday, my Dad went to the Quezon City Circle Market and came home with these gorgeous cherry tomatoes and red radishes. What’s even better about them is that they’re locally grown in Benguet and sold by people from Benguet themselves. It kind of reminds me of a farm-to-table concept since it's the farmers themselves selling their produce. Their association is called BeOPA or Benguet Organic Producers Association. From the name itself, you’re assured that their vegetables are not only fresh but also organic.

We used the cherry tomatoes in a salad, and they were so sweet and juicy! They were so juicy that it felt like you were popping grapes inside your mouth.

It was my first time to try red radish, so I tried it raw first just to know how it really tastes like. It’s very earthy and a bit spicy (kind of like the spiciness of onions). I personally didn’t like the taste of it raw. So instead, we sautéed it with some string beans and shrimp. It was so good! Cooking it got rid of the earthy taste that I didn’t like. You can also tell that it’s fresh because the texture was firm and it still had a bit of a crunch to it even after cooking it.

I love the fact that by buying locally grown (not to mention organic) vegetables, not only are you getting fresher produce but you’re also helping our local farmers have a sustainable livelihood!  

1 comment: