Instagram

April 5, 2014

Cafe De Sug Sulu Coffee


Like a lot of people, I love drinking coffee. I seriously don't think I can last a day without it. For my everyday coffee, I usually take instant coffee mixes (I blogged about the healthy one I drink here), but something that really excites me is when I stumble upon local coffee. My latest coffee discovery comes from Sulu. That's right, Sulu, Mindanao. It's unfortunate how Sulu has been associated with violence and terrorism over the years when there's so much more to it than that. Luckily, there's a coffee venture that's been "brewing peace in the South." 


As the name suggests, Cafe De Sug Sulu Coffee is Sulu-grown coffee. I bought it from Enchanted Farm Cafe when we ate there (my blog post here). To be honest, I didn't even know coffee was grown in Sulu. More popular local Filipino coffee comes from areas like Batangas and Cordillera but apparently, Sulu's environment is also conducive for producing some. Who would have thought? And did I mention, it's organic. But it doesn't stop there. What's better is that Cafe De Sug is also a social enterprise that was started in partnership with Gawad Kalinga to provide sustainable livelihood for farmers, and to change people's negative perception of Sulu. Local, organic, and helps others -- what more could you ask for?




Aside from the coffee itself, I love the packaging! I love how the native Tausug culture is incorporated in the visual design of the packaging as well as the whole concept. From the colors and tribal art to connecting the strength of the coffee to the boldness of the sultans -- it's such a great way of promoting the rich Tausug culture of Sulu!


The coffee is pretty bold and strong, and trust me, there's no lack of warning of how strong it is. On every part of the pack, there seems to be some sort of creative reminder that it is. I love how funny and interactive the text on the packaging is. It genuinely made me smile which is a great way to start your day while having your morning coffee. 


I don't even know why I thought of looking at the bottom of this pack, but I did.


Yes, this coffee is bold, but not just because of its flavor but also for wanting to create change in a place that's been perceived as turbulent for years. While some skeptics may think that peace is difficult to achieve in Mindanao, this social enterprise was bold enough to think otherwise. 

It says on the pack that this coffee is "only for the brave." If you think you are, then brew some of this coffee and help brew peace in the South.

6 comments:

  1. You can't imagine how happy I am to encounter this. I was a bit surprise, and it's a shame that I even didn't know this. But then its good to know that other people have the chance to taste and appreciate the "Kahawa Sug" of my beloved hometown. Thank you for posting. ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Glad I got to try your "Kahawa Sug," and I hope more people get to try it! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for blogging about the Kahawa Sug. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! A Tausug blogger here, from Sulu :)

    Wow! I never knew there was such product promoting the "all-time favorite" of our people: Kahawa Sug (Sulu native Coffee). Even Tausugs like me was unaware that these kind of product did exist! (just like how you thought coffee never grow in Sulu haha)

    And their ideas and designs for the product are witty! haha "Open at your own risk", "I told you so", "..There is really something wrong with you" and "you are awake for too long" haha. I would certainly love to buy one of those! I hope they are selling some in our place as well, hai.

    I really love that they are promoting awareness of the real beauty of Sulu and the unending misconceptions about Sulu. :) Hope their business would boost and reach more people around this country and even the world! Ameen.

    Thanks for this post :D

    Salam Kasilasa,
    Anakiluh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure! Glad I could help spread awareness about Kahawa Sug and break misconceptions about it with such a great product. :)

      Delete