Instagram

April 11, 2014

What I Actually Eat


Someone recently asked me if I actually ate the food I write about here in my blog. Of course, I said yes (Trust me, eating delicious food is probably one of the best things about being a 'food blogger.'). She then asked me how is it that I eat all those indulgent food without gaining a substantial amount of weight. It made me think about the kind of diet that I project here. After all, it seems as if all I ever post about are burgers, pizzas and steaks.

The truth is, I do eat all of those sinful meals but it's not what I eat everyday. I usually have them on special occasions or cheat days, and eat pretty healthy on most days. I thought I'd give you a sneak peak of the healthy meals I have for lunch when I'm at work.

Big Better Burgers Pesto Sauce Pasta
Pesto has to be my favorite pasta/all around sauce. Regardless of where I'm eating, I usually opt for this sauce when I order pasta. It's healthier compared to cream-based or meat sauces. Lately, I've been obsessed with the Pesto Sauce Pasta from Big Better Burgers (cover photo). I didn't really have high expectations for this dish when I first had it since it's from a place that specializes on burgers (their burgers are awesome, by the way), but to my surprise, the pasta was just as good as their burgers! The spaghetti is al dente, and I like how the basil is a bit coarsely chopped which makes it taste very fresh. The nuts also add a nice crunch with every bite. It's also served with two mini burgers which are the same as the patties on their burgers. They're juicy, meaty, tasty and have an amazing charred flavor from the grill. 

Pat Lin Delicacies Fresh Chinese Lumpia and Putong Kamote



On days when I want to lay off carbs, I usually have Pat Lin Delicacies' Fresh Chinese Lumpia (it's like a spring roll). It basically has lettuce, cabbage or singkamas, carrots, tofu, meat, peanuts, garlic, hoti (seaweed), rolled in rice paper, and served with a sweet sauce. The veggies are always fresh and crisp, and there's definitely a lot of play between flavors and textures. I love it because it's so filling, and you're fueling your body with veggies. My favorite is the Classic one which has both meat and hoti in it. They also have a vegetarian, extra meaty, and sugar-free variant, depending on your preference.


When I want something on the side, I throw in an extra putong kamote. Puto is traditionally made with rice flour but their version is made from kamote (sweet potato) which is healthier. I love how its sweetness comes naturally from the sweet potato. I also like how it's denser and more chewy than the regular puto because it becomes more filling. It's unique and absolutely delicious!

C'Verde Layered Bean Curd with Rice


When I do crave for rice, though, I usually go for a healthy viand. One of my vegetarian discoveries is this Layered Bean Curd with Rice from C'Verde which is tofu, "veggie meat ham", carrots and green bell peppers in a sweet, savory sauce served on top of white rice. I personally love tofu, and I like how it's a healthy protein alternative to meat. The tofu is firm and chewy which makes it seem like it's meat. It also has fake "ham" made out of veggies which surprisingly tastes like the real thing. I don't usually like vegetarian dishes, but I had no problems devouring this one. 

Miranda Kerr, who is my all time favorite model, lives by the 80% healthy, 20% indulgent rule when it comes to her diet, and I find that it works for me as well. I try to eat as healthy as I can on most days, and spoil myself on cheat days and for the blog (It's a tough job). After all, life is about a balance so take care of yourself but don't forget to live a little, once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment